Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Joy, Creativity, and the Design Team


I am so thrilled to accept an appointment to Gail Schmidt's Tennessee-based Shabby Cottage Studio's Design Team (see nifty little badge to the right). I am so excited I am dancing around like a little girl (and the teenaged kids are looking at me like I have lost my mind!).

We had to apply to be on the design team, and I am excited to be one of those selected. Our main function will be to make fabulous art using supplies from Gail's store at Shabby Cottage Studio. Projects will be posted to inspire and educate Shabby Cottage's customers. We will also brainstorm as a team for Gail and work with specific direction as well as on our own creations.

It is funny, I was buying stuff at Gail's on-line store when I saw the call for applications for the design team. I thought, what the heck, I will send her an email and some pictures of my work and a link to my blog. I will probably never hear back from her, because you see, I am new to this art form. I have done lots of polymer clay, art dolls, rubber stamping, and even a few altered books, but I am not a published artist, no way she will want me. I told her I was a newbie and I would be happy to help other newbies get over their fear of the blank page. Goodness knows I would have loved for someone to help me get over that fear! And you know what, I guess she liked what she saw and thought I had potential, because low and behold, she asked me to be one of the six original members of her design team! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I guess it goes to show, take a chance with your art. Share it, dream big, don't be afraid to grow! And always, always find a mentor, a group of people that will share their knowledge with you, people who are more advanced than you so you can learn, and people that are not as advanced as you so you can teach (but you always end up learning more than your students anyway).

So, what are you waiting for, go to the Shabby Cottage Studio and dig in! And check back here often to see what we are working on. I will also add links to my Shabby Sisters so you can see what they are doing!

Peace Out (as my kids say)
C-Dizzle

3 comments:

violette said...

Congratulations for overcoming your fears and just doing it!

Love, Violette

Lisa said...

Congrats, Dude (as my kids say hehe)

Peace out.

c-dizzle said...

Thanks ladies, your support means so much to me! The Seven Shabby Sisters just got there first assignment, I can't wait to get started!