Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Musings from the road!

Here I am, on the road again............

my hubby told me when i am traveling for work i should take some time out for me. so, i stopped at some antique stores on my road trip. i found some great 1940's and 1950's LIFE magazines with great old ads in them (i use these for my altered art and charms for my bracelets). i also found a bunch of great old spoons, again for altered art and for making jewelry. the stuff i get is not extremely costly, i don't buy antique furniture or anything really expensive, just little stuff that tickles my fancy! i also found a bunch of old postcards and some game pieces. i know, like i need anything else to put into my art studio. but hey, i cleaned out a lot of stuff! more room for more stuff (jeez, i have used the word "stuff" so much i feel like george carlin). my art is taking on a more sophisticated form, so i am getting rid of all of the kid things from when my children were younger and getting different items so I can explore new art techniques. it is fun, and keeps me out of trouble. i have to admit, searching through piles of old books, and magazines, and jewelry, and silverware, well you get the picture, it is relaxing, and really gets the creative juices flowing.

when i look through the antique stores, i can't help but wonder who owned this stuff, was it important to them,, what is the story behind the item? this is why i can't buy old photographs, i can't help but think there is some great grandchild out there somewhere who would love to have just one picture of their long gone relative.

don't get me wrong, i love going to estate sales, and antique stores, and flea markets, but i also find it a little sad. the china, the silverware, the books and letters and photos. why are these not being passed down through someone's family? why did they have to sell there worldly possessions to strangers? just thinking out loud, hope the rambling isn't too hard to follow. well, i think i will go out to the car and get the magazines and start looking through them. i may sell some of the ones i don't need (or swap them) so someone else can enjoy them. i will write more later.

No comments: